Indians celebrate Republic Day on 26th January. It is the national holiday in India. People celebrate Republic Day to honor the date on which the Constitution of India took place in 1950. On this day ceremony of flag hoisting and parades by armed forces and school children are held in different parts of the country.
Therefore, this historical day is the day to remember, on this day India became an independent republic. Although India gained freedom from the British government after a long struggle. But sadly, Indians did not get the democracy and the right to choose their Government in their free country. They did not have any Constitution until then.
Afterward, India became one of the biggest democratic countries. The Constitution of India made the country a socialist, democratic, secular, and sovereign republic. People celebrate Republic Day with great enthusiasm all over India every year.
What is the Constitution?
The Constitution lays the broad framework of the basic laws and principles of a state, nation, or social group. It determines the power and duties of the government and also determines the citizen’s rights. In brief, it describes how to govern the country.
The United Kingdom’s Parliament divided British India into two parts. Indians gained their independence through the monumental act of 1947. But still, India was under the rule of Earl Mountbatten and King George VI even after gaining their freedom. It was because they lacked a Constitution at the time. India followed the Government of India act of 1935 laws.
Therefore, the leaders realized that it is necessary to have their own Constitution. However, a Drafting Committee was set. The chairman appointed for the committee was Dr. Bheem Rao. The main objective to set this committee was to make India’s supreme law. The Assembly began its first session at 11:00 am on December 9, 1946.
However, this committee worked real hard and tirelessly for many months. They submitted their first draft on November 4, 1947, to the Constitution Assembly for 166 days. The committee included 308 members. But it took them to adopt the Constitution with the necessary amendments exactly 2 years, 11 months, and 18 days.
The assembly signed two handwritten copies of the Constitution, one in English and the other in Hindi on January 26, 1950. Two days later history was made and Rajendra Prasad became the president. Although the Indian Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution on 26 November 1949 and it came into force in 1950. However, this completed the state’s transition into becoming a sovereign republic.
- According to the Fauji Akhbar report, India declared the Sovereign Democratic Republic on Thursday, January 26, 1950, exactly at 18 minutes past 10 in the morning. Accordingly, exactly six minutes later, Dr. Rajendra Prasad swore to be the President
- The Indian constitution is the largest in the world.
- At the time of the commencement, the Indian Constitution had 395 articles, 22 parts, and 8 schedules.
- After 2012 the constitution had 448 articles in 25 parts, 100 amendments, and five appendices.
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, the chairman of the committee is also known as Father of The Constitution of India.
- An interesting reason to choose the 26th of January as Republic Day is that the Indian National Congress made the declaration of Purna Swaraj on January 26, 1930.
- The first Republic Day parade at Rajpath was held in 1955. Before the parade took place at Red Fort, Kingsway, erstwhile Irwin Stadium, and Ramlila Ground.
- When the President hoists the National Flag on Republic Day, Tricolor and the President receive a 21 gun salute.
- In the Parliament House Library, the preserved original copies of the Constitution are in helium-filled cases
- President Sukarno of Indonesia was the first Republic Day’s guest of honor.
What do People do on Republic Day Parade?
The people of India celebrate Republic Day with a lot of fervor and enthusiasm. India celebrates this big day by organizing events and military parades. Here is what you would like to grasp what this magnificent day is like
- Large military parades are held. Representatives of the Indian Army, Navy, and Air Force along with traditional dance troupes take part in the parades held in Indian Capital.
- The Prime Minister starts the event by laying a wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate to remember those who sacrificed their lives for the country.
- Distribution of awards and medals are held to armed forces as well as civilians.
- Armed forces helicopters fly past the audience and showers rose petals over them.
- School children participate in the parade and dance and sing along with troupes.
- The parade concludes with a flypast by the Air Force which involves fighter planes and leaves the colors smoke of the Indian flag color.
Republic Day Parade Tickets
Republic Day Parade tickets are sold from January 7 to January 25 every year. The Parade tickets for the Beating Retreat Ceremony are available on the counters. Citizens can purchase tickets between 10 am to 12:30 pm and 2 pm to 4:30 pm.
The Republic Day parade tickets are sold at various spots across the Capital.
- Shastri Bhawan (near Gate 3)
- Parliament House Reception Office
- Pragati Maidan (at Bhairon Road, Gate 1)
- Jantar Mantar (Main Gate)
- Red Fort
- Jamnagar House (opposite India Gate)
- North Block Roundabout
- Sena Bhawan ( Gate 2)
People try to get these Republic Day Parade tickets as soon as possible so they may enter the parade and watch the magnificent acts by Armed Forces, Troupes, and children and make this day the Happy Republic Day. In 2020 India celebrated its 71st Republic Day, the Parade Tickets this year cost them between the range of Rs. 20 to Rs. 500 depending upon the distance.
But on the other hand, you do not have the option of Republic Day tickets online booking. So beware if someone is trying to convince you to buy Republic Day tickets online. The tickets are only available in stores.
Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru declared India an independent country and its citizens as a free nation in his famous speech Tryst with Destiny. But, the country was under the rule of King George VI even after independence. The country was a constitutional monarchy, on January 26, 1950. It was finally after two and half years after independence when the Constitution came into effect.
India gained its independence on the 15th of August 1947, however, this is the major historical development after World War II. For Indians, the 26th of January is the day at which they could proudly pave the way for the strong democratic nation that they are today.
Moreover, for any independent nation, the constitution is of great importance and plays a vital role. Thus, the constitution gives the citizens of the country to select their own government.
In conclusion, if you want to celebrate a happy Republic Day and witness the parade then reach the tickets as soon as possible because it is the major attraction of the celebrations. Hence, this is a great experience and boosts up the enthusiasm.
Apart from showcasing the defense and military capabilities, you can witness the culture and heritage of India and you can celebrate a happy Republic Day with your family.